We work with Indigenous communities and businesses so they can participate economically in our projects and operations.
At Enbridge, we are committed to early engagement and meaningful dialogue with Indigenous peoples along our pipeline rights-of-way, based on mutual respect and trust.
Our approach to Indigenous relations recognizes and respects the history, uniqueness and diversity of Indigenous peoples in both Canada and the United States.
Enbridge's Indigenous Peoples Policy governs our interactions with Indigenous peoples. Enbridge's policy lays out principles for Indigenous relations, such as:
- Recognize the legal and constitutional rights possessed by Indigenous peoples, and the importance of the relationship between Indigenous peoples and their traditional lands and resources.
- Recognize the importance of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Engage in forthright and sincere consultation with Indigenous peoples about Enbridge’s projects and operations.
- Commit to work with Indigenous peoples to achieve benefits for them resulting from Enbridge’s projects and operations.
- Foster understanding of the history and culture of Indigenous peoples among Enbridge’s employees and contractors.
As part of our engagement strategy, Enbridge aims to create opportunities that are aligned with the aspirations of many of the people within Indigenous communities. Our Indigenous Relations focus areas include:
- Building relationships through engagement with the Indigenous communities near our operating areas
- Creating partnerships to support investment in Indigenous communities
- Supporting employment and training programs
- Facilitating Indigenous economic engagement
Enbridge forges mutually beneficial relationships with Indigenous peoples. We strive to improve our own guidelines and programs to address the changing Indigenous landscape in both Canada and the United States. In 2020, Enbridge set new goals to increase Indigenous representation in our workforce and for company-wide Indigenous awareness training.
We strive to develop mutual understanding through open, timely, two-way communication.